Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Joys of Bathroom Renovations - demo time

Demolishing a room has a certain pleasure to it. You get to tear out the walls, get rough with things, and feel like a real man. Marc and I had sketched out and done a CAD design of how we wanted the bathroom to look. This would mean sliding the shower and tub over, and moving the toilet to the other side of the room. You see, where the toilet was, it only allowed for a smallish counter area and one sink. Our goal was to have the cabinets and counter top go the length of the wall. This would also allow us for two sinks. Our plan was to completely transform this bathroom from 1975 to 2010.

The first thing that I did was tear apart a small storage closet. This would be the area where the new tub and shower would get moved to. The first mistake I made was to not put plastic around the entry way of our living room. You see, our living room is across the hall from the bathroom. I would definitely call myself a newbie in terms of demo work. I did a great job tearing everything out. Plaster was a flying......and so was the dust. A few days later our contractor, Ron, showed up and did the rest of the demo. He is great, he comes in does his thing, and cleans up everything before I get home from work. No mess for me to contend with. That is the way it should be.

Now what really sucks about gutting out a bathroom, is that you are gutting our your bathroom! Thank God I have a toilet in the basement. The shower I could live without for a bit as I would use the one at the gym.

Here are some pics of the demo work.

No comments:

Post a Comment